Friday, October 22, 2010

Oh! You Pretty Things

Part 2 of 3: What I Will Miss About Rwanda

gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous green hills in every direction

all my food for a week costing $2

four day work weeks

playing the muzungu card

awesome birds everywhere, and bird noise outside my window in the mornings

the omnipresence of lizards

Senior 5

students saying "hi teacherrrrrrrrr"

the giant smile on Louise's face when I go to La Bonne Addresse for tea

fabric markets

brochettes and ibyari from Kiyovu Pete's with my Kigali friends

the range of wonderful and horrifying things people strap onto their bicycles and/or carry on their heads

torrential equatorial rain and thunder that still makes me gasp after a year

the simple, stress-free nature of my house

fetching my own water

sitting on my porch in the morning and saying hi to everyone who passes in front of my house

the double-handed wave

constant nuns

the singing that's part of every routine school day

daily life bowing to weather conditions

8am Economat breakfasts

being extremely flexible with the rules/getting out of any sticky situation with a firm "ntakibazo"

seeing people's joy when they hear me use even the simplest phrase in Kinyarwanda

tiny little Ange, who faithfully trots along after me on my runs

heading into Bourbon at any time of the day or night and knowing that one of my friends will be there

the process of picking rocks out of my rice before I cook it

my cellphone ringtone

sleeping under my awesome mosquito net

being around my whole WorldTeach gang

the students who often make me want to smash windows but even more often make me smile, especially when they launch into unprompted versions of Imagine :)

No comments:

Post a Comment